Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Book Karma



There is a book god out there sending positive karma my way.

The situation: I mail thirteen boxes of books from the states. 286 pounds. $286 to the USPost Office makes it happen. The boxes go into 5 Mbags, large plastic/canvas bags, special for papers, documents, and other media. Bags go on boat. Boat sails to China. No need to go through customs. Simple enough. July 7th I was told 4-8 weeks.

The situation: My apartment is empty! I go to IKEA on Sunday and buy three bookshelves, thinking, "those books will certainly arrive soon!". Monday morning I go see the action / liason man, Tony Tang to inquire about the bags. "Hmm." He says, "I think they are in this building!" School sends worker to my apartment with boxes, and voila, I arrive home to 5 Mbags.

The situation: I imagine a crane lifting the Mbags high into the sky and dropping them onto a cargo ship. Push around with a bulldozer to really pack them in there. Such suggested the state of my boxes and books. At least the plastic held up and all the books were piled inside the Mbags. Then the fun began: piling my books onto the floor and organizing!

The situation: happiness is having all your books lined up!

No comments: