Saturday, September 02, 2006

Made to Order Furniture #1




So stuff is cheap in China. Real cheap. Being the jewelry nut that I am, living in the land of "make anything for you cheap cheap" I decided to have a jewelry chest made. It is about 5' 8" tall with nine drawers for all of my jewelry. And doors. And a mirror. And a light. Now I just need to fill it with more jewelry.
How does one get things made? Well, I trade business cards with other teachers. I give you a card for a good restaurant and you give me a card for a custom furniture design place. So I went to the shop and looked at a bunch of pictures of possibilities and I said "yes this, no that, yes red, no gold hinges, etc." The order goes out and three weeks later some sweaty dudes in singlets carry it to your house. Ta-da!

No comments: